X2Go enables users to access a graphical desktop over low or high bandwidth connections. It provides a remote desktop solution tunneled over SSH supporting file and printer sharing.
X2Go enables us to access a graphical desktop of a computer over a low bandwidth (or high bandwidth) connection. X2Go is a Remote Desktop solution, which some vendors vaguely call Remote Control. This is not to be confused with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, which is a competing Remote Desktop solution and protocol. The xrdp status is so poor, that this answer should be advertised everywhere. I've lost a lot of hair chasing xrdp issues, when x2go just worked. It doesn't even show up on Google when searching related terms, what a shame. – Marcus Jan 3 '20 at 22:11.
- X2Go is an Open Source remote desktop application for GNU/Linux that uses NX technology protocol. The main difference between X2Go and other remote desktop applications is it provides secure standalone remote desktop sessions via SSH. So, each session connected using X2Go is strongly encrypted and safe.
- Install the X2Go client on your local computer. Follow the instructions in the first section to copy the SSH connection information for your VM. You need this information to connect using the X2Go client. Once you have the SSH connection information, open the X2Go client and select Session New Session.
We recommend that users install the latest version of X2Go by downloading it from x2go.org.
The latest version should be installed.
Windows: Installation requires administrator permissions and some users have experienced issues with some Anti Virus software.
Connecting to KoKo-Login:
- Start the X2Client software and click the New Session button as shown.
- Specify “koko-login.hpc.fau.edu” in the host field and choose your Desktop Environment of choice under Session type. Your options are listed here with examples:
- Click the connection to start it.
- Enter your username and password.
- Enjoy the remote desktop connectivity.
X2GO SSH login without Password
You can configure your X2GO session to login to Koko without prompting you for your password by using a pair of keys. The instructions on how to set this up can be found here.
File sharing to KoKo:
File sharing from your computer to X2Go.
We recommend using FileZilla to transfer files back and forth from your computer to X2Go
- Download FileZilla
- On the top right next to “Host” enter koko-dtn.hpc.fau.edu
- On the top right Enter your username and password
- Click Connect
You should now be able to transfer files back and forth