Download the free Audacity audio editor for Windows, Mac or Linux from our download partner, FossHub: Download Audacity for Windows, Mac or Linux; Audacity is free of charge. No registration or hardware purchase required. Audacity on Windows is only available as a 32-bit application that may be used on 32-bit or 64-bit systems.
Many of you must have encountered a situation where you want to extract audio from MP4 video. Maybe the OST music is just so touching and melodious that you want to set it as your ringtone. Maybe the background audio and the video don't match. Or maybe the melody of the audio of the current MP4 video clip fits better for another video. You need to find a proper tool to help extract audio from MP4 with 100% fidelity preserved.
- Best Way to Convert MP4 to MP3 without Quality Loss. What is the best MP4 to MP3 converter?
- As a high-quality audio format, M4A, which is usually used for Apple devices, maybe not compatible with most devices for playback. Converting M4A to WAV comes to be a good choice if you want to convert the.m4a file to a lossy and widely-used audio file. Here, the steps to convert M4A to WAV in Audacity and the best alternative to Audacity to convert M4A to WAV are discussed below.
While extracting audios from videos using HandBrake or VLC can be totally free, you are likely to get into troubles. Like, those audio extractors can't correctly read your videos in MP4, MOV, Xvid, MP2V, and many other formats. And what frustrates users most when using these free media converters is the complex operation and inconvenience of extracting process.
Is it possible to find a solution that can easily rip audio from MP4? Yes, this post guides 5 of the easiest methods to strip audio from MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, and many other types of video clips. After reading, you will know how to use free/paid/online apps to extract any from video on Mac and Windows.
With your favorite music extracted and saved on your computer, you can use these mp3 files in your video project. Interested? Explore how to add music to a video.
#1. How to Losslessly Extract Audio from MP4 with VideoProc
To extract audio from MP4 on Mac or Windows, VideoProc is an application you shouldn't miss out. VideoProc is a one-stop video processing tool. It allows you to quickly extract the audio from a video and save it as MP3, AAC and dozens more popular audio format. Besides separating audio from videos that stored on local drives, VideoProc also allows to extract music from YouTube videos.
The best part is, this tool enables auto-copy, so that the audio is truly extracted without re-encoding. If you mean to extract the sound instead of converting video to audio, auto-copy is the feature you are looking for.
Step 1. Import Videos to VideoProc.
Free download VideoProc and install it on your Windows or Mac.
Open VideoProc, go to Video panel to add your MP4 footage or other format videos.
Step 2. Extract MP3 from MP4.
Click Music tab at the bottom. Here you can choose any format according to your preference (Possible choices include MP3, M4A, AAC, PCM, AC3, MOD, FLAC, etc.).
Step 3. Save the extracted audio.
Choose the output folder, then click 'RUN' to rip audio from MP4.
Bonus: Extract Audio from Online Video
To extract audio from YouTube, Twitch or other online resource, you can go to the downloader panel from VideoProc homescreen, save the video from online to your local drive and repeat steps above.
What Else Can VideoProc Audio Extractor Help You?
- Batch extract audio from multiple videos.
- Save extracted audio as AAC, MP3 from MP4, MKV, MOV.
- Tick auto-copy option to extract audio without re-encoding.
- Basic editing features to cut, trim, rotate videos.
- Build-in downloader allows you to extract audios, videos, and subtitles from 1000+ online sites.
#2. How to Extract Audio from MP4 in VLC for Free
The Convert/Save option offered by VLC media player allows you to generate MP3, AAC, AC-3/A52, Vorbis, FLAC, Opus, Speex, WAV and WMA2 files from 3G2, 3GP, AVI, DIVX, DV, and other popular formats. The entire UI of the VLC media player is not intuitive, but you can follow the below steps to strip audio from MP4 without error.
Step 1. Open VLC media player.
Launch VLC media player and click Media > Convert/Save on the top menu bar.
Step 2. Import file to VLC.
Click the +Add button to import one or more video clips to VLC.
Step 3. Set the output format.
Choose an output format such as OGG, MP3, FLAC. For advanced users who want a full control over the output format parameter, go to the section of Encoding parameters to adjust bitrate, channels, and sample rate.
Step 4.Extract Sound from VLC.
Click Save, and then hit Browse to add the needed output file folder to save the audio file. Then click Start to rip audio from MP4 in VLC.
#3. How to Rip Audio from MP4 in Audacity
Audacity, a professional audio editor freeware enables you to extract audios from videos without costing a dime. Beginners need a steep learning curve to master the myriad options on audio effect and complicated audio timeline. Therefore, newbie are not advised to extract audio using Audacity. But if you are in need of grabbing audios from video clips, and then adding audio effects, give Audacity a try.
Step 1. Download and Install Audacity.
1) Update Audacity to the latest version.
2) Open Audacity. Click Edit on the menu bar, and then click Preferences . Select Libraries on the pop-up window, and then click the download icon. An Audacity FAQ page will automatically open up on your browser.
3) Click to see FFmpeg installation section for Windows/Mac/Linux. Follow the guide to download and install FFmpeg.
Step 2. Add M4A File(s) to Audacity.
Restart Audacity. Go to File > Open and select the DRM-free video that you would like to convert it to audio.
Step 3. Extract AAC/AC3/WMA/WAV/AIFF Audio from Video.
Click on File > Export, and then select the desired output audio format.
Step 4. Start the Conversion from MP4 to Audio.
Can I Use Mp4 In Audacity
Set up the destination file folder, and then click on OK to save changes. Now, Audacity is extracting audio from video.
#4. How to Extract Audio from MP4 in Windows Movie Maker
A free Windows only tool - Windows Movie Maker can also help extract audio from MP4. Whether it is a live concert or a talk show, simply import the MP4 file to Movie Maker and let it save the sound only. The problem is, Movie Maker only allows you to extract m4a from a video.
Step 1. Import the Video File to Windows Movie Maker.
Click Add videos and photos to import the target video to the app.
Step 2. Convert MP4 Video to Audio.
Click File > Save movie, and then select Audio only.
Step 3. Set the Output Folder Path.
Select the output file folder.
Click Save to start extracting audio from video.
Note: Microsoft doesn't provide a download link of Windows Movie Maker anymore. You need to download Windows Live Essentials from online archive for getting Movie Maker back.
#5. How to Strip Audio from MP4 via Online Audio Extractor
Online-convert can help us create audio from small videos without all the hassle. The audio converting and editing features of online-convert aren't as extensive as other apps on this list. As a web-based app, it comes with some common downsides, as like, the audio/video processing efficiency still relies high on your network environment, and you can't convert any file that is larger than 100 Megabyte. But, it is definitely helpful for you to convert small video clips to audio as it supports 150+ input file formats and allows you to change the audio codec parameter.
Step 1. Select the Desired Output Audio Format.
How To Use Mp4 In Audacity
Enter the official site of online-convert. Go to Audio converter, there I select Convert to MP3 as I need to extract MP3 from MP4 video.
You are also allowed to select AAC, AIFF, FLAC, M4R, MMF, MP3, OGG, and WAV as the target audio format.
Step 2. Load Video to online-convert.
Drag and drop the source file to this online video-to-audio converter. Or click Choose Files to add one or many video clips to the app.
Step 3. Convert Video to Audio.
Adjust the output parameters including bitrate, resolution and audio channels, etc.
Step 4. Export Audio from MP4.
Click on the Start Conversion button to activate online-convert start extracting audio from video.
Sum Up: How to Rip Audio from MP4
The steps to rip audio from video by using VLC, VideoProc, or another audio extractor are very similar. You just have to:
- 1. Open up the software.
- 2. Feed the MP4 file into the software.
- 3. Choose the favored audio format (MP3, AAC, etc.)
- 4. Adjust the audio parameter.
- 5. Set up the output file folder.
- 6. Start to extract the audio.
However, among the 5 solutions included in this post, VideoProc is our top recommendation. Customers can easily strip audio from MP4 or other video formats. And they can immediately edit the audio which is not feasible in other applications. It will constantly get updated and improved and provide professional support service to better serve customers. Give it a try now.
This detailed and step by step tutorial will show you how to extract the audio from an MP4 video file, using Open Source (free) software. That way you can listen to it on your computer, smartphone, iPod etc, or burn it to an audio CD.
MP4 files are one of the most common format for video recording devices (the GoPro is a good example). There may come a time (or lots of times) when you want to listen to the file but not necessarily watch it. These steps will show you how to create a separate “audio only” file.
Note: while the the steps and images in this guide are from a Mac users perspective, nearly everything is identical for Windows users. Not only is the software available for OS X and Windows (and Linux!) – it looks the same no matter which you’re using.
Extract Audio from MP4
Let’s jump right in!
- If you don’t have the wonderful audio software Audacity already installed, head over to the Audacity download page (link opens in a new tab/window). Download the version for your Operating System (Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Open Audacity, select File and then Open…
- Navigate to the MP4 video file that you want to copy the audio from. Select the file by clicking on it once, and then click the Open button. It may take a bit to open the file – the larger the MP4 file, the longer it will take to open.
- NOTE: at this point you may get an error message. If you do, fear not, the solution is simple. Just follow the steps outlined in this brief guide (opens in a new browser tab/window) to add “MP3 support” to Audacity. Then repeat steps 2-3 and you won’t ever have that problem again.
A new Audacity window will appear, displaying all of the audio information from that MP4 file.
- With that window open, select File and then Export…
- From here you can choose the format you want to save the audio as. If you’re going to burn it directly to CD, select .wav so that you get the highest possible audio quality. Otherwise you can select MP3.
- Now click the Save button.
- Enter the song metadata if appropriate, then click the OK button.
- Now the audio will be extracted and saved.
- When finished, go and check the audio file to make sure everything worked – and then you’re done!