The name MATLAB stands for matrix laboratory. MATLAB was originally written to provide easy access to matrix software developed by the LINPACK and EISPACK projects, which together represent the state-of-the-art in software for matrix computation. Click for the Matlab based locating and tracking tutorial. Essentially the theory of particle location and subsiquent tracking is no different in Matlab versus IDL. To fully understand the necessary information a comprehensive tutorial for the IDL code can be found here. MATLAB for Data Processing and Visualization Create custom visualizations and automate your data analysis tasks.
Indiana University provides access to a campus-wide Total Academic Headcount (TAH) license for students, faculty, and staff. New users can download, install, and activate MATLAB from MathWorks.
Matlab For Beginners
Download and install MATLAB
Whether you are a new or existing MATLAB user, when you are ready to download and install MATLAB, follow the steps below.
- Get your activation key from IUware:
- Go to MathWorks and create an account using your IU email address.
- Go to the License Center. In the upper right corner, click Associate License.
- Enter the activation key when prompted.
- Go to the MathWorks download page.
- Click Download for the current release; the release name typically follows the format
- Choose the appropriate installer for your operating system.
- Locate the downloaded installer file. It should be in the default download folder, unless you specified another location. The name of the installer file depends on your operating system:
In the above examples,
<release>represents the release number.
- Start the installer:
- Windows: Double-click the installer file you downloaded to run the Windows Self-Extractor.
- macOS: Double-click the installer file you downloaded. This will extract the files and create another folder called
<release>represents the release number. Inside this folder, double-click InstallForMacOSX to start the installer.
- Linux: Depending on what Linux distribution you are using, move the file to either
/opt. It does not matter which you choose.
Then do the following steps in a terminal window:
This starts the installation process.
- In the MathWorks installer, select Log in with a MathWorks Account and follow the online instructions.
- When prompted, select the license you want to use.
- Select the products you want to download and install.
- After downloading and installing your products, keep Activate MATLAB selected and click Next.
Update your MATLAB license
The university renews the MATLAB TAH license each July; around this time your MATLAB application will begin displaying expiration warnings. To continue using MATLAB, you can either download and install the newest version (follow steps 5-12 above), or use the MATLAB activation client to update your license for the installed version.
Matlab For Loop Array
To update your license:
Matlab For Loop Example
- Launch the activation client:
- If MATLAB is currently activated, open the application, go to the Home tab, click Help (in the 'Resources' section), mouse-over Licensing, and then click Activate Software.
- If you can't open MATLAB (for example, because your license is expired or otherwise unusable), launch the activation client manually; its location varies by operating system:
- Windows: The activation client is located here:
- macOS: In the Finder, go to Applications, right-click or
Cmd-click the MATLAB icon (for example, MATLAB_R2015b), select
Show Package Contents, and then open
- Linux: The activation client is located here:
- In the activation client, select Activate automatically using the Internet.
- Log into your MathWorks account.
- From the list of licenses, select the license you want to activate.
- Confirm the activation information.
- To complete the activation, click Finish.